Girraween High School

Aspire - Respect - Unite

Telephone02 9636 7293

School counselling service

School counselling staff are members of the school learning and support team.

A teacher may recommend the service by referring a student to the school’s learning and support team. As a parent or carer, you may refer your child directly to the school counselling service. Students can also self-refer to the service.

The school counselling service can:

  • support students who are worrying about school work, friends, getting in trouble at school or feeling down
  • help parents and carers make decisions about your child’s education
  • assess a student’s learning and behaviour
  • help teachers and students identify and address disabilities that may affect learning
  • liaise with other agencies regarding student wellbeing.

School counselling is confidential.

For more information about learning and support teams and the school counselling service, please contact your school.

Girraween High School is appointed a school counsellor that attends the school twice weekly. Our school counsellor, Ms Yolanda Campos, has worked with students at our school for more than ten years. In that time, the counselling role has also been filled by other qualified counsellors on a temporary basis. These arrangements can occur from time to time

The school counsellor is a qualified clinical psychologist possessing teaching experience. At the school, the counsellor offers support and works as a point of reference for students or families experiencing difficulties. The counsellor compiles statistics on the general trends that are occurring within the school and reports to both the senior executive and head teacher wellbeing.

It is imperative to understand that confidentiality and trust is central to the counsellor's work. Our counsellor maintains the highest professional standards and will only involve others in a student or family's case with explicit permission, unless there is a risk of significant harm.

In schools, the counsellor can be called on to complete the following tasks:

  • Assessment of students' needs using psychological and educational tests, rating scales and observation, and report the results to parents and teachers
  • Counselling of students individually and in groups in a range of educational and mental health areas
  • Participation in the work of school student welfare and learning support committees
  • Providing advice to review committees concerning the education of students with special needs
  • Referral of students or their families to other appropriate health and/or welfare agencies as required
  • Working with parents focusing on the welfare needs of their children
  • Reporting and make recommendations when students have received a long suspension from school.

If you would like your son or daughter to speak with the school counsellor you can call her directly via the school or contact the head teacher Wellbeing to make the referral on your son or daughter's behalf. A student can also refer themselves to the counsellor, either by making direct contact with the counsellor via the front office or by communicating with their year adviser, assistant year adviser or head teacher wellbeing.